The first time I met my oncologist I was a 35 year old mother of three, who had been blindsided by the phone call “You have thyroid cancer” only one week before. In my search to make sense of it all, I know I must have sounded like my toddler asking him “why” at least 200 times that hour… Why did I get cancer, what did I do wrong, why, why, why!? What he told me that day was that they thyroid is the most susceptible organ in our body to toxins and that they can accumulate throughout our lifetime. That’s when I finally started to wrap my head around everything, and it all started to make sense. It wasn’t just one thing, but an entire 35 years of sugar addictions, toxic makeup and self-care products and those super strongly scented candles that I loved- yep, even those can contribute.
I don’t tell you this to alarm you, but to empower you with information. There truly IS so much we can do to detox our bodies on a daily basis that can easily become habits and second nature for us. Here are ten easy things to think about, and I would encourage you to add one or two to your routine today and see how you feel!
- Start with day with warm lemon water. You can easily make this by taking warm filtered water and squeeze the juice of half a lemon into it, or use 1-2 drops of lemon essential oil. This “tea” helps to flush out the toxins in your body by stimulating the cleansing process of the liver. It is a really good and natural way of detoxing which you can easily do on a busy day.
- Put a filter on your shower. Showering in hot water causes our pores to open which leads to increased absorption of toxic substances such as chlorine and its byproducts. By taking a shower without a water filter, you are more susceptible to chlorine and chloramine than by drinking unfiltered tap water. Most water filters are inexpensive and easy to install (even by this single mom!) so this one is a no brainer.
- Hot towel scrub. This can be done before, during or after your shower, or anytime during the day and honestly just feels really great! Instructions: Fill the sink with hot water, submerge a washcloth in the water and wring out. While the towel is still hot, begin to scrub the body gently, doing one section of the body at a time. Example: begin with fingers and work your way up the arms to the shoulders, neck and face. Scrub until the skin becomes slightly pink or until each part is warm. Reheat the towel often. Benefits include reduced muscle tension, allows excess fat, mucus, cellulite and toxins to actively discharge to the surface rather than accumulate around vital organs, relieves stress, promotes circulation, activates lymphatic system, and spreads energy through the body.
- If you have a little more time, take an Epsom Salt Bath. Epsom Salt relaxes the body, detoxifies the liver, and provides your body with the essential mineral magnesium, which is necessary for optimal relaxation, digestion, detox and health. We need magnesium to have proper bowel movements, reduce cramping and feel less stress. Magnesium is a natural calming mineral and essential for 300 bodily functions. For a detoxing salt bath, add 1 cup of epsom salt to a warm bath and optional essential oils (make sure they are okay for topical application!) and soak for 20+ minutes.
- Here’s one I bet you’re already doing now- breathing… Let’s just enhance it a little bit through Belly Breathing. By bringing more oxygen into the body, deep breathing is one of the best ways to get more of the blood’s waste, or carbon dioxide, out of the body. Breathe in through your nose at a slow and steady rate. Allow your abdomen to expand, rather than your upper chest and count silently until the breath naturally ends. Breathe out slowly and evenly through your mouth while again counting silently. Aim for your exhalation to be twice as long as your inhalation. Repeat two more times.
- Massage. With benefits like detoxing your lymphatic system, improving circulation, managing and alleviating pain, relieving stress and anxiety, plus many others, massage is a great way to relax and let go.
- Sweat it out through exercise, sauna or steam baths: Sweating eliminates toxins through our largest organ, our skin. And sometimes it IS okay to go to the gym just to sit in the sauna- what’s not to love about detoxing while “just hanging out”?!
- Smile, laugh and choose happiness. Find the positive in every day and you’re your day with gratitude. This will all help to reduce stress and chemicals in your body.
There you go, which one are you going to start with today?