1 & ½ cups veggie/chicken broth
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups fresh or frozen green peas
½ cup raw cashews, ground into a fine powder
1 teaspoon green curry paste
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons tahini paste
½ cup cornstarch
Salt & pepper
Coconut oil for frying
1. Bring the broth to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, in a dry pan, heat the uncooked quinoa until it begins to pop (this will happen fairly quickly).
3. Add the quinoa to the broth, and lower the heat to medium. Cover and cook for 12 minutes, or until all of the broth is absorbed. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, and let sit, uncovered, to cool.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine the beans, peas, cashews, curry, ginger, tahini, and oil. Gently mush the peas and beans, but don’t completely mash; chunky is good.
5. When the quinoa is cooled, fold it into the mixture and add the cornstarch and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well using your hands.
6. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to thicken up a bit before forming into 8 patties.
7. Panfry in a smidge of oil in a pan until golden on each side, about 3 minutes per side.
Makes 8 burgers.